How does HDR work? - Endgadget
A roundup of explainers on both technical and creative things to consider.
On the technical side, Endgadget goes into detail about how HDR works in theory as well as in practice, covering:
- Dynamic Range
- Color Space
- Bit Depth
On the more creative / narrative side: while i’m not convinced his takes on modern aesthetics aren’t occasionally reductive or overly influenced by his specific taste, here wolfcrow offers interesting considerations of the ways in which the look, and even the very storytelling, of movies and TV shows are being shaped by developments in HDR technology:
A quick reference for how “color space” works (via Endgadget):
- Film School: Colour In Film with Lawrence Sher Cinematographer of 'Joker', 'The Hangover', and 'Garden State' gives a masterclass accessible to beginners - in 15 minutes.
- Film School: Colour in ‘Euphoria’ "Sometimes, in order to get to the deepest emotional depths of a character, capturing a feeling, rather than reality, is more important."
- Film School: Colour in Film A collection of video essays exploring ways colour is used in visual storytelling.
- Film School: Color Palette Cinema A wonderful way to watch, and learn from, movies.
- Film School: Centre-Framing in Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) Weaponising composition, colour, and editing to create story.
- Film School: Digital Cinema Camera Workflow An overview of how major movies are shot on digital cameras, from camera setup to final export.
- Film School: The Power of Overlapping Edits Smoother, more powerful, and more transportive techniques to take your viewer from one shot, character, location, or idea to the next.
- Film School: Color Temperature A beginner's guide to light, from warm to cool - and how the camera captures it.